Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's Finally Over!

So Favre is a NY Jet now, and I couldn’t be happier. Well I could be because he could be playing for a better team, but still.

Don’t get me wrong I am a Packer fan and originally Favre’s retirement was part of my New Old Stuff article, but now his legacy has been tarnished in my mind and it’s his own fault. He retired, changed his mind, and then played the victim when the Packer organization didn’t welcome him back with open arms after they gave him every chance in the world to consider and re-consider his decision before announcing it to the world. And the theory that he may have done this on purpose to get to another team just further tarnishes his legacy if it’s true.

As for why I’m glad he’s not coming back as a Packer, aside from being incredibly irritated at his drama-queen like personality of the past few years; Brett Favre is destined to have one of the worst seasons in his career not just because he has to learn and adapt to a whole new offensive game and a new team, but he will suffer the full brunt of the Madden Curse. If you don’t know what that is, it’s the theory, supported by a lot of convenient circumstances, that when a player appears on the cover of a John Madden football game they will then have either a bad season or suffer an injury that keeps them out for most of the season. Favre in Packer jersey is set to appear on the cover of Madden ’09.

I hope within a decent amount of time I’ll be able to again look back at how great Favre was, but as of now that’s difficult to imagine. But right now he does get some of my sympathies because Favre is showing a lot of classic signs of a form of serious depression, and I’m not the only one who’s noticed. Hopefully someone close to him takes note of all the people saying it and convinces him to get help.

No comments: