Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Heroes From Our Past - Not Just a Kick Ass Dropkick Murphys Song

Subject: Marcel Marceau
The world’s most famous mime ever passed away this past weekend and like most I passed it off as the loss of an entertainer who entertained millions, just not me. I knew he was a mime, I knew that as a further sign of Mel Brooks’ genius he had the only speaking role in Silent Movie. Then I started hearing odd things here and there about him and with a little research discovered he was a hero.

Since anyone can look up this stuff for themselves, I will keep it brief.

Marcel Marceau was Jewish and living in France during World War II where his father was arrested and later murdered at Auschwitz, even before that happened Marcel was already working with the French Underground, notably working as a direct liaison with General Patton.

I haven’t done any more research into his war record, but for my money, the French Underground was incredibly brave and integral in the defeat of the Nazis and therefore mime or not, Marcel Marceau was indeed a hero.

No comments: