Friday, September 21, 2007

It's Just How I Roll

Like nearly every other blogger out there I plan to write a review from time to time, however I’d like to establish a familiarity to my style/thinking so to save me from explaining certain things over and over again when I write one.

I try to keep an open mind about things. I realize that my opinions are just that, my opinions and I always try my hardest to present them either in a fun way or very matter of fact to insure that it’s very clear why I feel a certain way. On that same note I realize not every movie/book/TV show is designed to win an award. Casablanca is one of my all time favorite movies, but so is Army of Darkness. Clearly the first is deserving of accolades while the other is pure mindless entertainment gold. But again, there isn’t a single movie in the world that everybody thinks is perfect.

What follows is a quick breakdown for the different genres I will be touching on from time to time:

Movies
Movies are my strongest passion and to me what makes a great movie is one where all the key players convey their own passion for the material. Also the things absolutely necessary for me to enjoy a movie are first off the writing, that the story actually be either well thought out whether it be gripping or just genuinely fun(ny). Second then is the acting as I want to feel like the people who were paid to entertain me actually cared about what they were doing. Where directing, special effects, etc. falls all depends on how the first two do. There are some movies that are great stories but don’t have a noticeable directed style so it’s pointless to fixate on it. See, that’s simple enough.

Comics
My second passion; comics, and yes it is a legitimate form of literature. Comics have come a long way from the Golden Age/Silver Age which is often considered hokey and geared towards kids. Yes in books you have to craft an image with words so that the reader’s mind can see what you want them to, but with comics a writer and artist together (sometimes both the same person) actually show you their story in beautiful panels of ink that can make your jaw drop. I always judge comics on those two things separately: the story (does it flow well, does it make sense, was it pretentious) and then the art (does it convey the story well, does it fit the mood, is it pretentious). True either one can make or break a book, but the story is the reason I actually want to read the book.

Books
The written word is powerful, and I love feeling that power. There are few things better than reading a book and not being able to put it down because you care about characters that are typed out in front of you. To me a good book has to be able to do that. I want to feel like the author actually cares about his creations, not just throwing a story together with a bunch of facts he/she happened to read about while writing the book and trying to seem smart (::cough::DanBrown::cough::).

I won’t touch on music since even though I feel passionate about music, too, I don’t really like writing about it. And as for TV shows, we’ll see, but it falls along a lot of the same lines as Movies.

Obviously feel free to agree or disagree, just be clear as to why, not some stupid High School or IMDB comment like:

Rand0mIdi0t69: The Day the Earth Stood Still, sucked!

MrSensible: Why do you say that?

Rand0mIdi0t69: Because it did!

Seriously, IMDB makes me consider forcibly regulating internet access, however it does give all the spazzes somewhere to go and leave me alone.

No comments: